Photgraphs: my Dad's influence on me


There is a historical side to me. I like revisiting the past of my family as I'm sure most people do other wise Kodak wouldn't have been so popular in the past selling memories to family upon family. Now with digital photography the past can be seen closer to the present than ever before. But I digress, the past of my childhood has recently come to my attention with regards to some photographs I rescued from my mother throwing them away. They are photos that my Dad took and with the help of a friend I was able to digitalised them and print them on a few CD's for safe keeping.
I am currently working on paintings that deal with using those same photos as reference points for artwork of my own. My Dad as it was noted was really good a composing a photograph from life events. I'd like to think some of that trait got passed down to me. In art school a professor and artist said he liked my composition a lot in an early painting of my cartoon style at the Academy. My Dad only said a very few things about what works in a picture and in framing art as well, but those words have stuck with me maybe more so than almost anything else he said. I was thankful that he took the time to take me to art exhibits and let me see artwork for myself without much fanfare. He was a quiet man. That trait wasn't passed down to me.

Comments

What Has Worked;

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Walking Along W. Main St.

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So

Painting in the Public Domain

The County of Nelson's Courthouse