Painting the Fife-house


Working on a new painting today, I was able to visit a historic house in a part of town where you wouldn't think it would be located, but there in the woods was a very nicely designed house. It belongs to a couple at least one of whom (it maybe that both were) was once the Mayor of this city. I had the good fortune to meet both members of the house and a couple of grandchildren as I was set up painting in their front yard. The house is a beauty, it's been added on to with a nice southern exposure sun room which is very long and gets good light during the day. The front of the house reminded me of the Jeffersonian style with large columns and old red brick highlighted with white wood trim. It had a massive structure around the front entrance but it really wasn't that big of a porch once you stood on it, it just had strong presence when you were looking at it from the front yard or as you approached the house from the driveway.
I only got a start on it, but I took some good photos so I will be able to finish the painting here at my home using them for notation of just where thing are and what colors will work. I enjoyed my beginning of the painting and I have a good feeling about this one. It lends itself to many paintings I've done in the past so I am kind of familiar with the make-up of this kind of building with it's style of balusters and such. I should be ok with doing the rest of it for the next few days. It will keep me out of trouble for a little while I guess.

Comments

What Has Worked;

Walking Along W. Main St.

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So

Painting in the Public Domain

The County of Nelson's Courthouse