Took A Walk Today and Bought My Camera Along


I took a walk. I brought along my camera on that walk today. Just taking a meandering stroll around the downtown area and I really enjoyed it. I was able to see just how much this place has changed for the better. To me at least, this town has put up some really nice buildings with good features on them. Some of the better ones have been put to good usage by patrons of the arts. There are many more craft and actual art shops and galleries in this downtown area now that are open for business. The good thing is that they seem to be surviving, they continue to be open for business month after month. Twenty years ago, this town just didn't have much in the way of art shops, or galleries. We artists had to show work in bakeries or restaurants if we wanted to have our work seen, now one can see one or two gallery spaces per block on the downtown mall. Yes, there are places to show one's work now. I even went to a workshop held at the Omni Hotel where we all talked about the need for studio space in this city, because many of us just didn't have anywhere to set up and work. I don't know if that has really changed much, I still am too cheap to rent a space (if there are any here) and I work out of my home or onsite outdoors at the place I am painting at the time.
It's fascinating to see the changes happen here in Charlottesville. It's good I think to become accustom to a new way of life with new places to live it. And new uses of old buildings and new buildings themselves are a good way to suit that purpose.

Comments

What Has Worked;

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Walking Along W. Main St.

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So

Painting in the Public Domain

The Holland Farm Chicken House in Arrington Va.