Sketching to Prepare for What's to Come


A new summer to live through is just the beginning but I have the very best feeling for the promise of my art this summer. Although I am not painting right now, I am doing art. I've discovered that doing some preliminary drawings before committing to a canvas is the way I'm going to start this summer's art season. I am taking my drawing book along on my daily journeys, and it's paying off big time. I know as long as I don't wait too long I will benefit from taking a good look at buildings and such that I might be painting before I do them in oils. A study is a time when one draws or works in charcoal before painting and it's also a time to take a closer, and more in depth look at subjects or in this case buildings and cityscape's. It's quick... and I can step back and then go further into them...I can take them home and work on shading or crosshatching and such techniques before they are "done". It works quite well right now because I am not yet prepared to get all loaded up and go out into the heat. I will, but later on, once I've settled on what I want to do.
I have been looking at a building that is home to a donut shop and I've done it before but it's looking more and more interesting to me such that I might go back and try doing it again before the summer is out. Who says one can't repeat in what one paints as a subject. Munch did it quite a bit and Monet as well. How many times did he paint Notre Dame in Paris? It's exciting to see all the possibilities in pen and ink for the moment. The rest of the summer will take care of itself, for now I'm really having fun just looking around with my sketch pads.

Comments

What Has Worked;

Walking Along W. Main St.

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So

The County of Nelson's Courthouse

The Holland Farm Chicken House in Arrington Va.