Paint'n Belmont


I've been work'n on the outdoor painting scenes this summer, yesterday I finished a nice small one of the local spot called "The Belmont Market" and it went well. It took about eight hours of actual painting time. But it's looking good and it only get's better the more I see it. I started out this summer with drawings then I put my brush to the canvas starting with "Spudnuts". The place is known for it's potato flour donuts which I too am an avid fan on any given morning when their flavors come wafting out of this spot. How couldn't I end up starting this summer's work of Belmont without it being first.
The previous and first owner of Gibson's Groceries is now very ill. His son happened to see my painting of his local store inside Parks and Rec Dept in the City Hall Annex. His son happened to give me a call and this coming Monday I will be headed out once again to paint it. I'm looking forward to it. I've painted it once and even though it was a couple of years ago that I did so, I still think I know what that scene is made up of and I think I can do an even better job of it on Monday. First I have to build a few more canvases, but once that is out of the way I am off to redo Gibson's Groceries.
I am actually quite touched that the original owner would enjoy seeing one of my paintings. Sometimes an artist can do a painting and have little to no idea what kind of impression it might have on it's viewers or in this case previous owner and fella who had spent a lot of his life inside of this building. I am glad to be memorializing this beer buyer spot, and the sandwiches were to die for, so God Bless and even though I may have changed my habits this place and it's owner were all good to me and all who went through it's doorway.

Comments

What Has Worked;

Poolside

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Kidd's Store, Va. : an oil

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So