A Little Holiday Up North


Thankful for a safe return to Central Virginia from Berkeley Springs West Va., I've gott'n some rest today. But where I went, I had a good chance to enjoy the serenity of the "woods" on a friends property and his new house. I hadn't seen him in a couple of years so it was good to catch up on old and new times, he had since become a husband and a homeowner. I played ping pong with him, his wife and a younger friend, it was just great to get beaten once again by the master. Actually, I played better than ever, and only lost by a slim margin against a lifetime champ on his own German made professional table, so I don't think I did so bad. The fun thing was seeing his new home and enjoying a totally silent night before falling asleep in the guest-room. I even got to do a drawing of not only his new house but also a comic drawing on his bathroom wall. It was his own idea and he left markers in that same bathroom so guest could draw or write to their heart's content. It was really cool and fun.
I went out into his front lawn on one of my days when he and his wife were off to DC and did a drawing of the place which I will post in the heading. It was a painstaking effort but worth every bead of sweat and bug bite. We had decent time together and I think it was a highlight of my year '09.
I was also able to connect with a few youthful couples who had come up from DC to see Dan, what fun they were as well. We discussed books, movies and other artful topics. I can say that I learned something that night about newer movie makers and I hope to look them up soon on Netflix.
On the way home, I had a chance to stop into the Almost Heaven Area's Convention of NA that was taking place in Front Royal that very same weekend. Because I was on the road and passing by I pulled in and caught a workshop on the 7th,8th, and 9th step. It was a good topoff to my little holiday.

Comments

What Has Worked;

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Walking Along W. Main St.

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So

The Holland Farm Chicken House in Arrington Va.

Painting in the Public Domain