The Making of A Good Painting

Paintings come and paintings go but sometimes I'll hook onto a good one, I think this fourth attempt of rendering Gibson's Grocery's in Belmont is the best I've done during this summers outdoor work. The subject of a local market place is a location where the community meets to pick up various items lent itself to the feeling I had when painting it. Since living here in C'ville, the markets were always a place where people often would run into their friends picking up something for the house. Because I often would hoist a cold one once in a while I often ended up in this corner market picking up a sixpack. So I am familiar with the layout of the place, because writers are told to work on things that they know best by way of events that they participate in and places where they often go, I found this building to be enjoyable to paint. That's mostly why I painted it so much this summer. It has some interesting features in it's make up: the covered windows, the wooden hand painted sign, the ice and drink machines all went into creating a really interesting composition for me to render.
I think this maybe the last time I paint it but I can say that I don't think I overdid it by any means. I ended up painting it three times this summer. But I actually have painted it four times, once a few years ago and then three times this summer. You never really know what one will end up with when an artist begins painting, but in this example I am pleased with all the results and all the work that went into the making of it (painting outdoors in ninety degree heat , etc....) was well worth the trouble. The results speak for itself, that painting is the example posted above: "Gibson's Market In August"

Comments

What Has Worked;

Walking Along W. Main St.

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So

Painting in the Public Domain

The County of Nelson's Courthouse