Drawing From Life


Such a crazy place to work but somehow I know it's doing a lot of good, our guys are progressing into their adulthood with the guidance of our staff which I think helps and educates our students. We do a lot but what I sneak off and get into these days is drawing which is a true love of mine. I use to sneak off and smoke a pack of cigarettes with my friend Tom Beale but now it's going down to the gallery that gets me feeling in the place. Because we have hired a live model to draw from I am becoming more disciplined in my efforts with the pen. Working from life has usually been a struggle but it's getting to the point where the struggle is just what I am looking forward to doing. I am reaching a level where my hand works from my visual peering without ever looking down to see just what my hand is up to. This is when I am doing my best work I have discovered, just as my teachers always said would happen. Thankfully I have made enough work to have this unique occurrence happen with utter joy doing I approach a drawing problem now, it's a mastering which has taken decades to come about...it's not something anyone could enjoy nearly as much as I do since I always felt I had to work a little harder than everyone else to master drawing from a model. Whether clothed or not, I just love the challenge of working from a model who is willing to sit still long enough for me to see her/him and draw them. What a payoff!

Comments

What Has Worked;

Walking Along W. Main St.

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So

The County of Nelson's Courthouse

The Holland Farm Chicken House in Arrington Va.