"Irish Highway" (Rt 6) 'n Nelson County ,Virginia

Nelson County has a wonderful road that runs through it that goes by the name of "Irish Rd". It's otherwise known as Rt 6 but to those in the know it's "Irish Road'. The scenic highway runs though some of the most wonderful old farming land in the low mountains of the Piedmont for the Blue Ridge mtns. It is a winding, and somewhat unexpectedly ruff and also somewhat hard to drive road. It's only two lanes all the way from it's beginnings in northwestern Nelson County to it's endpoint in Richmond....I might be wrong but I think it's one of the most traveled highway in this part of Central Virginia. That brings me to me sitting in a field surrounded by grassland and wildflowers with an ideal view of the rolling lanes of Rt 6 sitting just over the rise...and so this painting came about on a hot summers day. In fact I believe it was on the very first day of summer for the year it was painted. I did it in two sittings both lasting about two and a half hours a piece and I didn't so much as dare to touch it once it was back in my home studio. So that is the story about it, it's a new beginning for me and I hope to continue painting in this manner in days to come. There is still summer days ahead, if only the thunderstorms will hold off for an hour or two.

Comments

What Has Worked;

Poolside

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Kidd's Store, Va. : an oil

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So