Looking Back on Biking in this Little College Town

The alternative to riding the bus is not waiting n driving or riding a bike to one's destination. For years I couldn't even afford the price of a bicycle so I mostly either walked or rode the bus. Because in those days the bus only came once an hour I often would stand for a few minutes at the bus stop until I lost my patience and I'd start walking across town knowing that not matter where I was going it most likely wouldn't take more than twenty minutes to get their. The city wasn't all the extensive back then and the buses where not so quick at getting around to picking us up. And so when the time came that I was able to put away enough pennies to purchase a bike I bought a mountain bike for this town is full of hills. It was only then that I could go anywhere I wanted (or so it seemed) on a mere whim, I bike with the help of a smart fella who kept me abreast of my bicycle's condition. Bikes need to be tended to because they wear down as most everything does and he let me know what was needed and what the purchase options were for me. I am thankful he did that for me. Little did I know he was helping himself to my groceries on a daily basis as a way of me funding him for his help. But afterall we all have to eat, and biking has a side effect of giving one a good healthy appetite. I don't really blame him I simply wish he had discussed it with me because I certainly would have understood and agreed to it. But as it was he decided to do so stealthfully and I in turn copped a resentment once he actions became clear to me. Oh well he was long gone by the time I figured it all out and afterall we did have a good time biking the remote parts of this area of the world. Here's to those who still are biking. "God Bless and God help them look out for themselves!"

Comments

What Has Worked;

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Walking Along W. Main St.

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So

Painting in the Public Domain

The County of Nelson's Courthouse