"Scottsville's Main Street" and the Painting Done Plein Air.

The winter season isn't known as the best season to get outside and make some art but well I went out anyway last week. I traveled down to a small town on the James River known as Scottsville. Its the home of an old riverboat station where the traders of commerce would travel back and forth down the James to Richmond to do business. The river still runs and the town is still a working community although it is doing its best to attract new business by reinventing itself. I went down their to paint last summer and it was a nice experience especially since I finished five or six good canvases working on that towns streets. I went back with canvas on break from the cold weather, it was in the forties or low fifties while I was out in a parking spot with my canvas. I had to deal with a low breeze though and I did so by putting rigging on the upper corners of my canvas. I literally tied the canvas to the Julliard easel with wire. It worked too. I spent the day painting and the canvas held firm to where I had placed it. I talked to a couple of people while painting, one wanted to paint like I did as soon as possible, it wasn't easy to guide her to the understanding that it just doesn't happen like that, but I steered her to go to a community college or an art center and take some classes. Then maybe she could find her visual voice. A second person by the name of Jim dropped in on me as I was painting and began to ask some art process questions and I was having a hard time working on my image so I took on a attitude that he really had nothing to do with and I got kind of kirt with him. He seemed to know all the answers to his own questions so I just offered a listening ear but I had to dismiss him saying that I was kind of occupied with what I was doing and just didn't have the ability to do my work and talk about it while I was in the middle of doing it. He was a nice guy and understood and moved on. Then the wind picked up and I felt the guilt that comes with being a meany. So as my friend Jim said, "your going to do what you can here, then take it home and finish it up their?" And that's exactly what happened. I guess I put in three and a half hours onsite and then worked on it during a snowstorm at home in Schuyler. I see some progress in my work and for that I am glad

Comments

What Has Worked;

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Walking Along W. Main St.

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So

Painting in the Public Domain

The Holland Farm Chicken House in Arrington Va.