"808 Monticello Ave" and the Painting of It

Sometimes the weather just ain't so bad for working outdoors either on gardening, woodwork, bikeriding, or perhaps even art via "plein air". Such was the case this past Saturday during the mid-day section of sunlight. June 7th I found myself working on painting what might just be called a "home portrait" or simply put I was painting a house as an artist and not a commercial house painter. Forgive me for getting so technical but if I am not specific about this point some people take it that I can give them an estimate of house much it would take to do their house. But they don't mean on canvas but rather putting up a new color on their place of residence...well no matter you understand I know. This particular house belongs to a really unique couple who are younger but not too much so, the wife ran a gallery in town for a while called "Firefish" which I did submit many paintings over the last three years or so, selling a few too from that house of artwork. She asked if I would paint a painting of her house. I named a price and "game on" as we say from time to time. The canvas is only fourteen inches in height and twenty four inches in length and it is an oil painting done mostly onsite. I merely added to the trees ever so slightly in order for the viewer not to be wondering what those leaves were doing on the roof of the porch. Even if unknown parts work sometimes, here I didn't think that they did so I added some limbs to make those leaves on the porch roof look convincing. I think it did. I stopped their so as to not overwhelm the view with too too much visual information. I hope you enjoy this and the work that I will be doing in the next couple of months. I have no precise plans other than to give myself enough free time to explore my artistic side during my summer break from teaching
school.

Comments

What Has Worked;

Poolside

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Kidd's Store, Va. : an oil

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So