The County of Nelson's Courthouse

Life's interest often takes us to the law and where the law is practiced. Recently there was a trial where it drew statewide interest due to the unusual manner in which the prosecution held its case. They didn't have the right of habeas corpus to carry on a conviction with yet the trail went on, and in the end the man was convicted of capital murder. There seems to have been enough evidence to convince the jury of the man's guilt. It was only the second time in Virginia criminal law cases that this has happened and it happened here in Nelson County. The Courthouse where this trial took place stands alone on top of a hill (the highest point in the city of Lovingston, Va.) The courthouse has a newer extension put onto its northside but if one sees it from one spot where I painted this canvas you can't see it. But what you do see is the old structure in all its grandeur. Such was the place from which I chose to paint this rather unremarkable yet noticeable building. I took some liberties in that I changed some light post dimensions and added newer and different sidewalks in order to put the attention on the building. I also made changes to the stonewall with walkway up to the courthouse itself but I left the courthouse itself pretty much as I saw it and as one might view it as one approaches it coming up the hill to it. The Courthouse has a Civil War history to it I simply am not familiar with what that is yet. I will at sometime when I can go about asking some questions and researching it at greater length than I have time for now.

Comments

What Has Worked;

Walking Along W. Main St.

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So

Painting in the Public Domain