"Shenandoah Joe's" of Preston Ave.

The collective "we" certainly has wholly accepted coffee shops of late, and such is the case with this shop in Charlottesville that goes by the name "Shenandoah Joe's" which has two locations and sells its' beans in a local grocery shop. Dave who owns it is a really down to earth nice guy. He'll go out of way to lend an ear to whatever one might have on there mind at the moment. He's a unique guy and he runs a good shop. The one on Preston Ave has done so well that he is revamping it into a larger space, so this is where I come in. With doing a painting show of spots in Charlottesville that are landmarks to the locals but that are at the same time going the way of disappearing into history, well its time for me to paint it. Such is this canvas, the building is slight of note, it could easily be overlooked well honestly as an eyesore. But I took some photos and I'm cringing but at the same time I am doing my best to render it as it brings memories to those who have met within its walls over a coffee or tea. My favorite was getting a iron kettle of hot green "gunmetal" tea. I would sit their with my pot and sip down its wondrous joy while waiting to meet a friend. So this place has some sentimental meaning to me if not others and that is why I chose to paint its unimposing walls in the red not usually seen in brick. I took some liberties with its bricks so be rid of the cement between those red rectangles of brick-dome. My quest to remember the spots of this little college town of Charlottesville for the buildings of notoriety for those who have called this town "home" for most of there lives on this green and blue ball called earth continues. Its to culminate in an retrospective artshow at Mc Intire School of Commerce at U.VA. in August of next year. More information will be coming about that show when the time gets closer.

Comments

What Has Worked;

Walking Along W. Main St.

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So

The County of Nelson's Courthouse

The Holland Farm Chicken House in Arrington Va.