Trails I've Ridd'n on My Mountain bike and a 1970's hybrid




In talking to a local gentleman here in Charlottesville, I found out that what is now a mountain biking trail on Observatory Hill use to be an equestrian trail that allowed bikes to be ridden on it back in the day. Now, it's a fun spot that's nearby town's folk go to for a cheap thrill and the enjoyment of a little mountain biking. The trail is up a tough climb from any newcomers experience, but it's worth the climb for the sake of getting away from the city grime, and traffic noise. I've often ridden it for the fun of it, and it's a quick ride thru the woods on a good sized hill. Some people go a breakneck speeds on the trail itself but I enjoy taking a look around so I'm more inclined to take my time.
Thinking back, I've ridden from Philadelphia, Pa. to Mt.Vernon along the eastern shore and back again during the hottest part of the summer of 1972. I lost a lot of water-weight on that ride but I was memorable 9 to me at least) as a feat not easily matched.
I've ridden four times on the MS 150, on two of which we rode from here in Charlottesville to the North Carolina border. Two more we rode to Appomattox Virgina in two days, and it was over some of the most beautiful countryside I've ever seen. I've also ridden the longest downhill run in the state which is the Virginia Creeper Trail down in Abington Virgina where the ride is a seventeen mile downhill run. You never have to peddle, and it's very scenic. I've been on the Cape Fear Bike Trail down just south of Virginia Beach, Va., the Cumberland State Park trail which wasn't much of a ride, then on the Hanncock Rails to Trails twenty four mile trail along the Potomac in Maryland, and the many trails up in Northern Virginia around the Washington DC area. Those were mostly Rails to Trails supported creations of which I am an ardent supporter. I've ridden on the Walnut Creek Park here in Albemarle County Virginia. In that park are single track trails through some wooded areas and those were some of the most enjoyable rides for this biker. Then, I've been on The Fairmont Park Trails up on Philadelphia when I lived their, I rode on many an alley and along Chestnut Street and then back westward on Walnut Street to my home on 45th Street and Osage Ave. I've been on a trip to Baltimore that was a disaster. We won't go there right now.
I've been on many trips from here up to the Blue Ridge Mountains almost too numerous to count. Then down in Florida, I've ridden on the Pinlellas Trail thru downtown St. Petersburg, Florida. I rented a bike that time with a friend who didn't quite fit the bike he chose and he had a miserable time of it. Lucky for me I enjoyed the ride over bike bridges and thru a trail in a living city. I've ridden recently on the GW Parkway trail to Mt Vernon. It was nice to see my old home in Stratford Landing thirty years after I had left it. Memories memories!!
All in all, I've seen many a mile inbetween the handlebars

Comments

What Has Worked;

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Walking Along W. Main St.

Painting in the Public Domain

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So

The County of Nelson's Courthouse