A Day Trip

Yesterday I went down to Richmond to visit the British art exhibit at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. It was a nice trip and I was pleased to see all the work done by the Brits. My favorite was the British watercolorist by the name of Rowlongson. He centered in on cariatures and did them quite well and with some wit of observation. What seemed so strange to me what how small all these watercolors were in their size. Tiny works and I imagine it made working very difficult. I prefer working on a size where I can move around and get into it. Working so tiny must have been a cramped feeling for the artist. But no matter they were all really good watercolors.
Another artist who impressed me was a fella by the name of Copley. He worked without using any lines, he used the brushstroke to get his effects across. He also used color hues to denote distance and composition, a very good painter to be sure, I'm sure one can see him in other art sources, since I've heard of him before as a British artist. Then I moved on to the exhibit brought over by the Queen.
In that exhibit, the paintings were very large canvases and no doubt took forever and a day to finish but they were all very well painted. The kind of paintings you marvel at and wonder how the painter could do such detail so smoothly as to not show a paint brush stroke anywhere. They were paintings of the kings and queens of earlier times in the UK. Plus, sea battles were shown in enormous canvases. It was interesting to look at the ships and their design in the way and manner in which they were built for the sea.
It was a good day trip and I recommend going to the Va Museum of Fine Art on Grove and the Boulevard in Richmond, Va. It's available for a meager donation at the entrance way.

Comments

What Has Worked;

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Walking Along W. Main St.

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So

Painting in the Public Domain

The Holland Farm Chicken House in Arrington Va.