The Creative Process of Painting Freely


It's been hot, but that's a regular thing during this time of year and I'm ok with it even if I am more of a cold weather lover I still enjoy getting out into the heat of the sun today. I've been able to watch some good films lately on this summer break, one of the best being "The World is Not Never Enough" a Flemming spy story featuring James Bond of course and I loved it. What unbelievable fun it was to watch the incredible events that unrolled one after another in that film. In between paintings, films are a good diversion while I wait for the paint to dry. I've been painting a lot of smaller canvases mainly because I don't have to spend as much time on them before I get to an end point. It's quicker to see something come from my efforts with a small canvas. It's ok to not know what your doing when one starts one because you won't mess up that much if it's a flop. And afterall, I think my Dad was right when he said to me "People just don't have that much room in their house for these large canvases". At the time, I resented him saying that, but after living with my canvases for a couple of days now, I see where he had a good point. So I don't only paint "large" but I also do some "little ones" too, just so people can fit one in on a smaller wall if they so desire.
Either way, it's just been really nice to have the time and funds to paint freely large or small without working for others but more because I can try something out just to see how it pans out.
I will be painting this coming school year too. That's something I talked over with an artist friend of mine and I think it's best to stay involved with making new pieces or the rust gathers.

Comments

What Has Worked;

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Walking Along W. Main St.

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So

Painting in the Public Domain

The Holland Farm Chicken House in Arrington Va.