811 Monticello Ave: A House of a Valued Friend

A friend who was of a great help in my artistic career asked me if I would paint her house for her. She didn't want me to paint the sides of it with a roller, oh no....she was looking for me to do a 'house portrait' of her dwelling. I certainly jumped at the offer due to my enjoyment of painting the buildings of the Belmont section of Charlottesville. I had already painted many of the homes just a block north of her so I certainly said I would be more than glad to do so. It was the second of three nice cool yet sunny days when I set up across the street from her home on Monticello Ave in the Belmont section of town and I got to work. The work when somewhat fast. I had a good view, a view that said "it's just right" to me. It was a view slightly from an angle so I could see both the front and the right side of the home. I like this because adding in the right side gives the image some depth and some volume in space to it. With out the side of the house in the image it would most likely seem rather flat and simple. I want my images to be interesting all around the canvas and when one can improve the object of ones attention in a painting to be a little more of 'taking up space' then the more successful the painting can be. That's my belief at least, so far it's worked well for me. The colors I used certain added a lot of brightness to the painting. I added some colors that aren't really their or this painting would certainly not be so striking to the eye. I like to enhance my images if I can as long as it doesn't take away from the character and feeling of the content of my artwork. Here I don't think I went too far over the top, or maybe I did, you be the judge.

Comments

What Has Worked;

Walking Along W. Main St.

Painting in the Public Domain

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So

The County of Nelson's Courthouse