'Pen and Ink' Keeping My Creative Fire Alive

While waiting the summer art production rush I go through every year, I often resort to pen and ink drawings. I use pen and ink for three reasons: first, to keep my artistic eye alive and well, second, to think creatively since this takes less materials to create so less is lost if it doesn't turn out well, and thirdly, it is very easy to set up and work with when one feels the urge to 'make art'. My reasons are clearly one's of maintaining myself during the times when I can't get to the palette and brush since there just isn't enough time to do so when I only have a weekend's time-frame in which to spend on my efforts. The laundry, grocery shopping and general household chores have to be done in that time-frame as well....so.....that old saying comes to mind "one has only so many hours in a day" I do enjoy working in pen and ink though, its not like I have been exiled to the Siberia of the paper and pen. No not at all, that just isn't the case. Rather on the paper I can readily explore new ideas and images without committing myself to the expense spent on gessoed canvas and paints.

Comments

What Has Worked;

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Poolside

Kidd's Store, Va. : an oil

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So