Sunny Mountain

Just north of Lovingston is this gas station where I sometimes visit with a friend for a Latino style breakfast. It is a unique spot, a one of a kind in my experience of gas stations. It is the typical country gas station with the exception that it has a Latino styled restaurant in the back and from the outside look of it nothing else looks quite like it due to its paint job. I really love how it captured my complete attention from the road when I first noticed it driving by on my way to Lovingston. Its bright as all in the sunshine on any typical clear day. When I first saw it I said to myself "I've just got ta paint this place, just for its paint job if nothing else." As so I did. Its raw wood flooring and hand built counters are filled with goods and there is always a friendly smile on the cash registrar attendant's face when you go to checkout. The restaurant in the back is raw too with its indoor picnic tables with plastic place-mats from which to eat, but its cooks are the best. The menu is short but authentic to its country where the food has originated from, in short its a great local treasure. I decided that it needed to be remembered with an oil from me. So I did it in a two week period. The work went in sections and slowly. The canvas is two inches short of five feet in length and 32 inches in height, so its a big canvas with lots of area to cover with my brushwork. As I mentioned it too about two weeks to complete and I'd have to say I work anywhere from two hours to eight hours a day working on it. I used my laptop's photos to work from and the only drawback was that my air conditioning broke down with a blown capacitor about half way into it. And it happened on those days when we broke a hundred degrees on the outside so it wasn't all that conducive for painting, but I forged ahead anyway. The A/C got fixed and the painting got done. I've done worse, and I've done better, but it is what it is, and I like having done something to remember this creatively beautiful building.

Comments

What Has Worked;

Walking Along W. Main St.

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So

The County of Nelson's Courthouse

The Holland Farm Chicken House in Arrington Va.