Charlottesville is Changing

Charlottesville's skyline is changing and in as much so are the businesses that have been here for a long time. As long as I have been here. These are paintings of some of those businesses that have been the staple for so many years I can count them..(because if I did they would only be for the time (34yrs) I spent in this little college town)....but I need not. As an artist, I am interested in reflecting the society around me. That while those old adages: Am I a product of my environment or my inner self? Or both? And if so how much? And the view of artist is ever so sliding from one side of this quandary to the other: "Are we not but windows of our society reflecting what we see day in and day out?" So with all this in mind, I am on a quest to paint those Charlottesvillle places that served both the town's folk and the student population of our small village before they are flattened by the ever fast wreckingball for new diggs like the many new hotels are claiming those wooded spots. Old facilities that provided unique nourishment for us are being taken for the sake of new needs due to a growing need of both government and private ventures. It seems to me to be due to the overlooked significance of both our geographical location and our historical lands of this section of the country. Either way, those old haunts are presently changing and changing fast into a new cityscape for Charlottesville. And so I am on a quest to paint some of them before its too too late. I may not get them all, but I will have some images of them for myself and others to look back upon.

Comments

What Has Worked;

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Walking Along W. Main St.

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So

Painting in the Public Domain

The Holland Farm Chicken House in Arrington Va.