Street Music


A lot of money is made in music today, but my hat's off to those street musicians who play for donations all across this country. I met one today on our Downtown Outdoor Mall. He plays the harmonica and he's a nice fella who is from California. I sat nearby and drew him. He's been in our town for a few years now, and I just never had the nerve to speak to him, but today was different. While I drew him I noticed that he has been really seasoned by being exposed to the out of doors. His fascicle lines are really deep, but his face looked healthy although tired. He plays almost all day long and most everyday. His hair is among the longest I've ever seen, he wears it in "dreadlocks" which flow over his shoulder on down his back to his ass and beyond.
The fella can play though, he belts out one tune after another. He occasionally takes a break but he's in his spot for an entire day playing his harmonica with a small amp and speaker. After getting use to his style of playing one can almost enjoy what he plays. He's not that bad. He plays for handouts which he keeps in his little box of change by his side.
He speaks clearly and lucidly about his past in Venice Beach, California and some of the people he has seen out west on the beach and otherwise living off tourist in one way or another. He's been around the less walked path a few times I'd say, he is yet to become embittered by his life on the street so I have to grant him a lot of credit for that feat alone.

Comments

What Has Worked;

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So

Walking Along W. Main St.

Painting in the Public Domain

The County of Nelson's Courthouse