City paintings with Landscape of Central Virginia Where people live and have lived in Central Virginia.
Peacock Auto
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
This is a work that was done on location here in this little college town. It's of a garage that was taken over by a good fellow...he's making a go of it on his own in this little building.
Many of these farm structures that I live around out here in Central Virginia near Lovingston are made from wood that has been recycled from earlier farm buildings. I am almost certain that a lot if it may just go back to the early days of European settlers locating here in Schuyler. One can just take a quick look and even without carbon-dating one can see that the wood is old and weathered by the elements. It is very heavy older hardwood that these folks used in making their farm structures. One can also see how the buildings were shaped for the needs of the farm at a time and then torn down but not discarded but reused again for another purpose.. The sizes of the buildings are small. They may house one farm implement or two but they are not like those northern Atlantic barns that have lofts and large areas for animals, these buildings are built to suite a single purpose and generally aren'...
Then I went to U.Va. to see their exhibit of modern European art such as some Picasso prints and others from that era, I had a good time and stopped in to see if my good friend Phil was at home. He's in a new building over their at the art school, it's going by the name of Ruffin Hall. It's nice. I had a guided tour of the four or more story building. The art showing was inventive and fresh. It was a welcome change from what it was before they had the room to move their arms around so they didn't bump into each other as they painted. One can see the new exhibit areas are wonderfully big and roomy. I saw some huge portraits of street people that must have been ten feet in height all done with pastel, charcoal and some tempera or acrylic paints. The thing about it was that it was street people painted upon cardboard which is very appropriate due to the fact that many homeless sleep on such material and make signs with it...it was impressive to see thes...
The proverbial home of Earl Hammner called to me to be painted. He was the author of the Americana book "The Waltons" and also the script writer for the TV show that followed. The TV show was widely seen during the 1980's. In this town of Schuyler where I now live E. Hammner is an icon and a museum has been established out of what was the elementary school in Schuyler. The museum is devoted to that TV show and its actors, memorabilia, plus a WWII museum added on to it. Folks who own the house now give tours to the Hammer home 9am to 5pm daily with only Sundays off. Schuyler is just off Rt 6 on Rt 800 (or Schuyler Rd) which is just east of Rt 29 and 30 miles south of Charlottesville (the home of The University of Virginia). I felt like I had been ignoring painting this home long enough and when I stopped into Ike's General Store to buy the local paper (the Daily Progress) some asked me if I ever painted it. Then it hit me: "I ought to do so, and ...
Another two weeks and I will put away my easel and paints for my jobsite clipboard and such other teaching equipment because classes begin then. Before heading back to school I have had time to paint this summer and such is the result: it's titled :" Personal Dehumanization or Understanding Relationship: It's Up To You" it's an oil painting that is about three foot square and it's new. My work this summer has been an off and on affair but they do come into being occasionally this being one of those times when it clicked pretty well. I enjoy the "crispness" as one person put it to me last night when showed it to him. I think the quality of the painted surface has improved a great deal with the more time I've put into the making of my canvases. With more time comes a better understanding of what techniques work and which don't so I have better control in getting the effects I am looking for when I paint. The character with the wei...
In as much as spring has come to us here in these foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, its nice to have a cool day once in a while to remind us of what season we are leaving behind. It was a very cold winter for some of us. A little bit to the north of us it was a very wet snowy winter but thankfully we missed most of the white stuff here in Charlottesville, Va. I have been working on my art during this past month and I have one painting which I will be sharing with you on this edition of my blog. It is an imaginary landscape and it was done to entertain myself while I spent some afternoons indoors here in my apartment. I have been inspired by trees lately, it seems to be a bit of an obsession for me this past winter. I painted a good number of small landscapes featuring a few trees in there various states, some where dead and others were bear while some others were full with leaves. Many were done with a yellow, orange and deep red sky in the background so that ...
Comments
Post a Comment