Dithyrambic Daytime: the painting


This has been my winter (or Christmas) breaks obsession it's an oil painting that I worked tirelessly upon for the last two weeks. It's titled : Dithyrambic Daytime" which is a large word that just means the wild and wonderful day. It is not to be analyzed so much as to be simple pondered in wonder as to "what it's all about". I enjoyed the way the images came up from nowhere to my canvas as I painted. I started with only a ruff draft in pen and ink. Drawings are the origin for most of my "good art" work that I have done. This one is no different, it's a matter of some planning and the letting the rest come from the creative act of the actual painting. Seeing what may work from what needs to be changed is all part of the creative work that goes on inside the artist while painting. I'm sure most artist are of this way in their act of creation. Afterall who limits themselves anymore, if the idea strikes oneself, think about it, ponder it, then see if it's workable and if it is then 'just do it'.
Many philosophers of this day are pondering what thought process actually brings about the work or the action of doing something, and certainly I share this when I am in the act of painting. But not much happens when I am thinking about this and not actually in the midst of painting or the creative act of drawing or some other form of expressive action. Art is action for me, and not so much the preconception of it. This may be my downfall as well as my gift. I guess it's all in how it's used like so many other things in this life.

Comments

What Has Worked;

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Walking Along W. Main St.

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So

Painting in the Public Domain

The Holland Farm Chicken House in Arrington Va.