Drawings Take On Form


Daylight begins with a phone call notifying me of the canceled school day for me. I quickly bounce back into bed. Awaking later in the day, it's time to make time for my meditation and then hit the drawing board for an unexpected chance to explore inner self. I take out my pens, paper and balsa board for my set up. Then unfold the paper pad, choose a pen, and I'm off. I begin with but a line, then another to see where I can take it and what images may entertain my thinking. Robert Motherwell and the other pioneers of Modern Abstract Expressionism called this delving into one's automatic consciousness drawing process. It's enjoyable. It's not scary, rather it's enlightening and worthwhile for one's inner soul, spirit or whatever term one may use for one's inner self.
Doing such a thing is not nearly as impossible as it is if one says at the onset, "I can draw"...one can only say that if one never attempt to do so. Art is of the school that if one lifts the pen to paper and makes a mark then you have drawn. Whether one likes what one has done is another matter entirely, but many have drawn but haven't given themselves the credit for having done so.

Comments

What Has Worked;

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Walking Along W. Main St.

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So

Painting in the Public Domain

The Holland Farm Chicken House in Arrington Va.