Museum Hopping

I took a trip down the road to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond today and I was somewhat dissappointed. The featured show was done with an art collection from someone who lived in NYC during the hayday of the Post Modern Expressionist. There were many of whom I had never heard of before and I thought the work they did show was really lacking merit. Simple color lines on paper does rate a museum of fine arts show in my opinion. There was one etching which was very simple yet not very accomplished in it's figure drawing, but who's complaining it was a free exhibit. The painting that drew me to take the trip seemed to have promise of some of those large color fields that those NYC modernist seemed to fall back on like the artist Joesph Albers or Hans Hoffmann but that piece stood alone. There were no large modernist works to see afterall and the painting being advertized was but four inches square if that. I can't say I wouldn't have made the trip because there are a good number of wonderful paintings from Albert Deurr onward to other fine permanent collections works in this beautifully renovated art museum. Maybe next time they will be showing a deeper collection of art that is new to the world.

Comments

What Has Worked;

Walking Along W. Main St.

Painting in the Public Domain

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So

The Holland Farm Chicken House in Arrington Va.