Ed 'Big Daddy' Roth, creator of Rat Fink: A son remembers Here is one of the early influences of my artwork. I use to love seeing his model caricatures in my neighbors window. Chris Pegg certainly didn't know it but it helped my develop an idea of "My People" in my caricatures that I've done over the years. Big Daddy Roth showed my how to have fun with my pen and paper back when I was fifteen and had a vivid imagination to share with 'the world of art'....I have much to thank this guy for,,,his nerve is one of them,,,he didn't mind it if he offended the more conservative of those with his outrageous gory big tooth rats and such...I really enjoyed it. It was an age when being offensive wasn't nearly as extreme as it is today, his work was cutting edge for the time. Afterall, the Beatles had just come to New York for there first concert if that gives you any idea of how unique he was at his height.
Upon our early springlike weather I popped out and put up my easel with canvas upon a local avenue that is titled :"Belmont Ave", it is here where I did a preliminary drawing before rendering it in oils this past Sunday. I have yet to photograph the oil painting but I did have this pen and ink which I will post. It's going to be a pleasure to get out once again into the elements with my equipment and in such accommodating weather it is very pleasurable to work in the outdoor air, and sun here in Charlottesville. I am hoping to get something done this spring break or the very first week in April, but we will wait and see....one never knows in this ever changing world with all the problems we have, have had, and will be having that are not even known about now. I know that the truth is always subject to revision when it comes to making plans for my future. I've learned to just put somethings aside of my own self interest for the sake of the common good of ...
I found the scene along West Main is soon to change into an newer style cityscape of brick and glass with less ornamentation to its buildings. With this in mind I photographed some West Main Street buildings in the hopes of finding interesting scenes to paint. The signage is all a part of West Main and in that thought I painted this one with its graphic street crossing signage featured prominently in the picture plane. I highlighted the bricks in intense reds and developed the windows in a bizarre abstract display for each one of them. Each featuring one color being themed inside its frame as if each window display had its own abstract painting going on inside its area. Its all for the fun of it, I play with what is being viable to the view when I can. Nothing ventured nothing gained. It was nice how this one came together piece by piece with each painting session. Intense color came about as I developed its' scene on the sidewalk windows. I was going to bring in...
The days are shorter, the air feels like the air conditioner is on. The sun doesn't even seem nearly as bright or as stinging in it's rays every morning. Getting in the car and driving seems more reasonable when one thinks of putting on layers and biking to work. People who don't even own a bike ask me why I didn't ride to work today? I guess it must have been THE COLD MORNING AIR or perhaps I just wanted to just not put any effort into getting from home to work today. I suppose I shouldn't be so blunt or cold hearted, but then again why shouldn't I , what did others do to cut back on their carbon emissions anyway?
Yesterday I went down to Richmond to visit the British art exhibit at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. It was a nice trip and I was pleased to see all the work done by the Brits. My favorite was the British watercolorist by the name of Rowlongson. He centered in on cariatures and did them quite well and with some wit of observation. What seemed so strange to me what how small all these watercolors were in their size. Tiny works and I imagine it made working very difficult. I prefer working on a size where I can move around and get into it. Working so tiny must have been a cramped feeling for the artist. But no matter they were all really good watercolors. Another artist who impressed me was a fella by the name of Copley. He worked without using any lines, he used the brushstroke to get his effects across. He also used color hues to denote distance and composition, a very good painter to be sure, I'm sure one can see him in other art sources, since I've heard of h...
Comments
Post a Comment