City paintings with Landscape of Central Virginia Where people live and have lived in Central Virginia.
House In Arrington
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Sometimes one is asked to paint something that is meaningful to them but not so much to you. That's when a cash incentive is included in the deal. Such is the case with this house painting of a friends home in Arrington Va.
We rode up the Shenandoah valley hugging the eastern side northward from Afton and Waynesboro, when we came upon an old railroad stopover town that was pretty much deserted. The town is just south of Luray and it's called "Shenandoah". The town was a layover town on the railroad line that went up and down the valley and the engineers and many workers of the trains would stop in here for there nighttime rest spot. Since the trains no longer spend time on an overnight layover here the small town has died out. It's deserted and lay barren but some trains do hang out on the tracks which still run between it's "First St." and the river nearby. It's got a nice feel to it, it's got a wide not so long lay of the land, and it's gott'n a grant that improved the streets and facades of it's remaining buildings. It just doesn't have any people save a few holdouts. We ran into one man who had simply bought ...
I finished what I was working on during Thanksgiving here at home just a few hours ago. It is an acrylic painting. A smaller one that took some work to complete but it is nice just the same. The subject is one that is repeated from the one I just finished. That larger one of "Mincer's" is a rather more significant painting on. I wanted to work on this painting in a plastic based paint (acrylics) just to see if I could do it. I needed to test myself in this newer medium in order to know just how does this paint hold up doing the things I usually do in oils. It handled differently yet it was better in working with varying colors on a flat plain. In varying colors it worked such that one can alter one color with many others in order to produce "bright changes" from spot to spot on the same area of the canvas. I was glad to see how this could be worked out. There were other abilities acrylics have that are unique to this medium but I won't ...
I found the scene along West Main is soon to change into an newer style cityscape of brick and glass with less ornamentation to its buildings. With this in mind I photographed some West Main Street buildings in the hopes of finding interesting scenes to paint. The signage is all a part of West Main and in that thought I painted this one with its graphic street crossing signage featured prominently in the picture plane. I highlighted the bricks in intense reds and developed the windows in a bizarre abstract display for each one of them. Each featuring one color being themed inside its frame as if each window display had its own abstract painting going on inside its area. Its all for the fun of it, I play with what is being viable to the view when I can. Nothing ventured nothing gained. It was nice how this one came together piece by piece with each painting session. Intense color came about as I developed its' scene on the sidewalk windows. I was going to bring in...
Bike Rides always perk me up, two days ago I got out and I am still thinking about how nice of a ride it was for me. Heading out on the Rivana Trail down at the river was truly a delightful time. The air was cool. The river was flowing well, and the light was that special type of winter's light that comes in so low and yellow from the horizon at dusk. I brought my camera and stopped a couple of times to take photos. That ride took me out from the gym and back into reality of how beautiful it is around here if only you go out looking for it. What fun huh? I'll tell you I enjoyed my ride. I even saw a friend running in the other direction from the way I was headed. It wasn't such a bad thing to have a warm day in the beginning of March to break that indoor feeling of being cramped up and drying out to being full of life's warmth again.
Many of these farm structures that I live around out here in Central Virginia near Lovingston are made from wood that has been recycled from earlier farm buildings. I am almost certain that a lot if it may just go back to the early days of European settlers locating here in Schuyler. One can just take a quick look and even without carbon-dating one can see that the wood is old and weathered by the elements. It is very heavy older hardwood that these folks used in making their farm structures. One can also see how the buildings were shaped for the needs of the farm at a time and then torn down but not discarded but reused again for another purpose.. The sizes of the buildings are small. They may house one farm implement or two but they are not like those northern Atlantic barns that have lofts and large areas for animals, these buildings are built to suite a single purpose and generally aren'...
Comments
Post a Comment