City paintings with Landscape of Central Virginia Where people live and have lived in Central Virginia.
House In Arrington
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Sometimes one is asked to paint something that is meaningful to them but not so much to you. That's when a cash incentive is included in the deal. Such is the case with this house painting of a friends home in Arrington Va.
Ed 'Big Daddy' Roth, creator of Rat Fink: A son remembers Here is one of the early influences of my artwork. I use to love seeing his model caricatures in my neighbors window. Chris Pegg certainly didn't know it but it helped my develop an idea of "My People" in my caricatures that I've done over the years. Big Daddy Roth showed my how to have fun with my pen and paper back when I was fifteen and had a vivid imagination to share with 'the world of art'....I have much to thank this guy for,,,his nerve is one of them,,,he didn't mind it if he offended the more conservative of those with his outrageous gory big tooth rats and such...I really enjoyed it. It was an age when being offensive wasn't nearly as extreme as it is today, his work was cutting edge for the time. Afterall, the Beatles had just come to New York for there first concert if that gives you any idea of how unique he was at his height.
Upon our early springlike weather I popped out and put up my easel with canvas upon a local avenue that is titled :"Belmont Ave", it is here where I did a preliminary drawing before rendering it in oils this past Sunday. I have yet to photograph the oil painting but I did have this pen and ink which I will post. It's going to be a pleasure to get out once again into the elements with my equipment and in such accommodating weather it is very pleasurable to work in the outdoor air, and sun here in Charlottesville. I am hoping to get something done this spring break or the very first week in April, but we will wait and see....one never knows in this ever changing world with all the problems we have, have had, and will be having that are not even known about now. I know that the truth is always subject to revision when it comes to making plans for my future. I've learned to just put somethings aside of my own self interest for the sake of the common good of ...
The days are long, the night is cool : an excellent time for photography and I got to it this past weekend. I like the new way of editing photos with software such as Picasa 3 that I only plug because I am using that in doing these photos. I went to the sepia-tone in some of these night photos. We who take photos (which seems to be most everyone thesedays) can take night photos if you can change your ISO to a higher number, the higher the number the higher the amount of light that will register in your camera's sensors. So night photos are now able to be done quite readily due to the amazing speeds that ISO can go to now with the advent of digital photography. It's just amazing to me and so I have been trying it out with good results. Then I tinker with the image changing it to a sepia-tone and sometimes giving it higher color plus adding a grain texture...truly something else.
Yesterday I went down to Richmond to visit the British art exhibit at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. It was a nice trip and I was pleased to see all the work done by the Brits. My favorite was the British watercolorist by the name of Rowlongson. He centered in on cariatures and did them quite well and with some wit of observation. What seemed so strange to me what how small all these watercolors were in their size. Tiny works and I imagine it made working very difficult. I prefer working on a size where I can move around and get into it. Working so tiny must have been a cramped feeling for the artist. But no matter they were all really good watercolors. Another artist who impressed me was a fella by the name of Copley. He worked without using any lines, he used the brushstroke to get his effects across. He also used color hues to denote distance and composition, a very good painter to be sure, I'm sure one can see him in other art sources, since I've heard of h...
On a lazy summer day, what better thing to do than relax at poolside. My elbow was hurting from all the paintings I've been doing. As of yesterday, I finished fourteen of them in one month of summer relaxation. A bit more than I could expect to have done when I was planning this summer break from work. I will have them posted soon on my website . Today, I was at poolside at a local club, what a beautiful day to be out and about. Nothing but clear blue above me as I swam the backstroke across the ever so wide pool. I was in and out three times before it was time for me to go. Swimming is such a true joy for me. Thankfully, my parents had me learn how to swim at a summer camp on the Chesapeake Bay way long ago and today you can't get me out of the water until I hear the car engine start in the car I came in. Tomorrow it's back to the humdrum of my life here in town. Nothing wrong with it, I'm enjoying my painting and going to the gym is just great, but i...
Comments
Post a Comment