The Tavern Breakfast Restaurant of Charlottesville

The Tavern no longer exist, sorry if this is breaking news for you but its gone. It closed last year to make way for a new shopping building of one kind or another. One always has to make way for the wrecking ball after a while in our 21st Century lifestyle of Charlottesville. This city is in a boomtown mood, new hotels and shopping malls are coming into being left and right. And so I snapped a few photos of 'the Tavern' building before its gone for good. That restaurant was a staple for many a U.Va. student on any given Sunday morning for a breakfast to kill for, sometimes I was even at there tables awaiting pancakes and sausage. The food was good and always worth the short wait it took to get fed. It is missed. The restaurant was around for decades. I'd say unofficially that it might have been established in the 1960's but I am not sure. I do know that it was suggested that I had to paint it. To which I often responded, "not now, the building is closed for business isn't it and besides I just can't find a good view of it." I did end up photographing it. I think I was mostly being lazy as to why I wouldn't photograph it, and it was mostly just another brick building with lots of brick showing of course. Then I realized just how many people had asked me if I had painted it, and I thought well....I'd better photograph it now cuz if I have second thoughts about it , well it will be gone in no time soon you know...and so I did, and here is its painting.

Comments

What Has Worked;

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Walking Along W. Main St.

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So

Painting in the Public Domain

The Holland Farm Chicken House in Arrington Va.