"My People" What It Means For Myself


Art should reflect the times and place and people as well to where it's made. It also ought to show some of the personality of who made it in the choice of what is shown in the manner of the content of the work. And so I figure others may know me better than I know myself sometimes because I am discovering myself when I simply draw from my inner consciousness , it is then that I can in some manner transcend myself and my own conscious views into another choice of 'what is real' for me. This is how I see art as a very real therapeutic aid to bringing out my inner spirit and it's relationship to this earthly plain of living, and existence itself can often be interrupted when I draw with my free stream of consciousness. It is then that I draw what have become know as "my people" or with some " JT's people" which and whom show up in my work on a regular basis for my entire artistic career. It's wonderful to have the freedom to explore myself and give these "people" a voice or rather an "action" in my life and my art. Making them has always been fun.

Comments

What Has Worked;

Walking Along W. Main St.

Painting in the Public Domain

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So

The Holland Farm Chicken House in Arrington Va.