Scottsville Buildings : A Second Go at It

This painting is a winner for me and how I view my art. I often get the comments that my color range is bright, well I want it to be this way. My colors in this streetscape are simply a heightened color range from what I was looking at in Scottsville. The buildings in the painting are similiar to those I was looking at but yet I took some liberties in depicting them as a narrow bunch and certainly a lot more colorful than what I was looking at across Main Street. I do look at what I am painting but not all that much to say I was working directly off of life, it was more that I was working "from life" and changing it. I paint with enjoyment and I think that is of utmost importance if I am to continue in this endevor. This particular painting is rather on the large size being that it's 30"x 44" in it's canvas size. The reason I like it is because I had plenty of room to investigate my subject of buildings. While doing so my composition came together as I sorted out the details and applied my linear color lines to such things as the window or the ledges above. I sort of worked from the left buildings to the ones on the right, but I don't think one can easily tell that when looking. It doesn't really matter because once painted the whole painting should come together nicely. On my previous canvas of Scottsville (Blue Buildings of Scottsville) I could see how I painted it with a slight leaning of my drawings of the buildings from the right to the left. The slant shouldn't be disernable yet it is. This I feel is a failing of my compositional skills. That's kind of why I went back to doing another view of the very same buildings. In my second attempt at this cityscape of Scottsville I think I succeeded in getting these buildings straight as they stand in life. I'm hoping that people may enjoy seeing both paintings but this second attempt is my favorite so far.

Comments

What Has Worked;

Walking Along W. Main St.

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So

The County of Nelson's Courthouse

Painting in the Public Domain