Trees in Pen and Ink

As Eric Clapton mentioned in his last interview with Rolling Stone; "sometimes one has to simply do what's in front of him" (I'm paraphrasing him because I just through out the mag due to finishing it) and this past week I did simply that with my pen and paper pad. The results were enjoyable. In the studies I produced I found myself going back to the basic hand-eye coordination techniques I learned as a student of the arts in Philadelphia. I got into a groove with it. Since I was in the country for few days visiting some longtime friends I chose to draw trees and there were plenty of them around outside our windows from which I had my choice. I also had the advantage of good weather, large pane-glass windows sitting in air conditioning in a comfortable chair while drawing. I picked a conifer with some twisting branches and then also the trunks of a variety of these wooden giants. My enjoyment came when I freed up myself to 'get into it' and follow the pathway of the twisting branches took me. Once again I lost myself in my work and became freed from 'time at work' due to my being absorbed in my work. It was quite a joy, and all done without drugs too.

Comments

What Has Worked;

Wyant's Store in Whitehall,Va.

Walking Along W. Main St.

Firecycle in Kamahura: 1954 or So

Painting in the Public Domain

The County of Nelson's Courthouse